[open-science] Content mining exercise for hands-on workshop

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 28 14:22:28 GMT 2013

OK,
I'm free and can/will come. To avoid overexposing me, I can create the
tools.

I have had a great 2 days with Software carpentry and feel v confident we
can do something useful. We may need to work in pairs for those whose OS
doesn't hack it on the day.

Here's my idea:
* use BMC as corpus (primarily HTML) and choose bioscience where everyone
can feel comfortable (e.g. species)
* get people to preload simple tools (we'll use wget, grep, etc.) Linux
does this. Windows will need cygwin or better Enthought Canova BashGitHub.
I dont grok MAC but people managed it. BTW ppl are thinking of having a
SWCarpentry in Ox so there could be some useful contacts there.
* use wget to download several papers
* use grep to extract italic sections with species names in them
Then move on to advanced studies
* Tabula - I am working with these people. It's a nice tool for analyzing
PDF tables
* AMI - I and Ross will provide. We'll do phylo trees and choose 2-3 which
work and then get ppl to find others

Not sure how long you want. If this is too much it won't be wasted.

Jenny? Can you talk later today about this with just me? Only 10 mins?

P.