[open-science] Building an Open Science Q&A site

Lukasz Bolikowski l.bolikowski at icm.edu.pl
Fri Feb 21 14:24:33 UTC 2014

Dear list,

*Background*.  Some of you may know StackExchange.com, a popular network
of community-driven Q&A sites (5 million users, 8 million questions, 15
million answers).  The individual sites focus on different topics, such
as: programming, mathematics, English language, computer games,
photography, science fiction, religions, etc.  Each Q&A site has a
well-designed, inviting interface through which users may ask questions,
provide answers, upvote and downvote both Qs and As.  Lots of badges
stimulate users for better contributions and more intensive activity.

For example, StackOverflow.com (Q&A site for programmers) has become
both a large compendium of knowledge about programming (structured in
the form of Q&As), and a popular social site for answering questions.
Many (most?) of my programming-related Google searches lead me to
answers on StackOverflow.

Last but not least, the network has worked out a mature set of policies
and mechanisms for community-driven development of new sites.

*Call for action*.  I have just created a proposal for a new Q&A site in
the StackExchange network, devoted to Open Science:

   http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/65426/open-science

and I would like to encourage you to participate in its development.
Please follow the link above, and sign up or log in using your
Google/Facebook credentials.  Next, "follow" the proposal, vote on the
questions (upvote the questions you consider on-topic, downvote the
off-topic ones, discuss) and propose your own questions.

*Technicalities*.  In the first phase (called "Definition") we need to
gather 60 people interested in creating the site.  We also need to write
and select a total of 40 on-topic and off-topic questions (examples of
both types are needed).  This way we will define what the site will and
will not be about, and we will move to the next phases (Commitment, then
Private Beta, then Public Beta).  Ultimately, we will all be
collaboratively building a knowledge base on Open Science and providing
support for the general public.

*Why*?  To create a one stop shop for all the people having questions
about Open Science.  I have seen a great deal of energy and enthusiasm
in the Open Science community, and a lot of interest in the Open Science
issues among researchers and other stakeholders.  This is an attempt to
channel the energy of the community and to leverage a popular platform
in order to advance the cause.

I'm confident that we will create a useful and vibrant site!

Best regards,

Lukasz

PS. All user contributions on StackExchange are licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0.

--
Dr. Łukasz Bolikowski, Assistant Professor
Centre for Open Science, ICM, University of Warsaw