[open-science] [cc-community] Web Payments in Open Science

Brent Shambaugh brent.shambaugh at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 16:26:25 UTC 2014

Andrew,

I agree with you. In addition, webpayments for documents on the web make me
feel uncomfortable too. This is not the position I am taking. Rather I feel
that webpayments should be used for other products or interactions that
companies traditionally sell. This is rather an ambiguous statement. The
presentation (1) that John Wilbanks gave at Oxford in 2007 illuminates
this. He goes into explaining that movement to a commons model could help
incremental innovation in pharmaceutical innovation, but that it might not
work everywhere. For example he says that, "the commons does not work very
well if the materials are very expensive and intentionally acquired". This
distinction is very confusing for me. I do not know if I can understand it.

What I am proposing is the open value network approach (2). By doing this,
interactions may be visualized as graphs as in chapter 2 of Verna Allee's
book (3) and hopefully all data may be represented as linked data (4). In
this way I hope that value streams (5) may be visualized that do not harm
others. I believe with these valuestreams an envisioned universal
webpayments standard, such as Payswarm, might be appropriate.

I must admit that I have not given much thought to crowdfunding vs. social
payments. I would guess that using value streams would be closer to using
social payments. Thanks for your questions. I hope that what I have written
makes sense.

Thanks,

Brent

(1)John Wilbanks, Second-Generation Open Access: Building an Open Content,
http://webcast.oii.ox.ac.uk/?view=Webcast&ID=20070208_179
(2) Open Value Network, P2P Foundation,
http://p2pfoundation.net/Open_Value_Network
(3) Verna Allee, Value Networks and the True Nature of Collaboration,
Chapter 2: Mapping the Value Network Value Network Mapping Basics,
http://www.valuenetworksandcollaboration.com/mapping/networkmappingbasics.html
(4) Tim Berners-Lee, Linked Data - Design Issues, last change: 2009/06/18,
http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/LinkedData.html
(5) Value Streams, https://github.com/valnet/valuenetwork/wiki/Value-Streams