[open-science] Monthly Open Science Sum-Up (german)

Stian Håklev shaklev at gmail.com
Wed Jan 22 02:13:38 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,

I used to be a very avid follower of your blog and still read your longer
newsletter (usually by forwarding them to my Kindle). I think it's
interesting to think about the difference between a "human-curated" and
presented summary, and a more automatic approach. I am aware that all the
items added to the OATP are of course tagged by humans, who choose tags
etc. However, even though I know about the project very well, and have on
occasion submitted items, I don't regularly follow any of the tags. I
wonder if part of it is just the interface (and perhaps I just need to add
some of the RSS feeds to my reader). Perhaps some of it is that it's hard
to distinguish importance (I see about 12 items added just today, with no
other information than the title on this page:
http://tagteam.harvard.edu/remix/oatp)... Or maybe the short commentaries
from someone you get to know over time, and whose choices you grow to
trust, are important.

A few examples of such "summaries" that I use a lot are Stephen Downes'
daily summary of open education news, Hacker News, and r/haskell on Reddit
(the two later ones add discussions of course). I would love to know of
more sources like these in other languages, for fields that interest me.
I've several times mentioned to Chinese colleagues that it would be great
if someone set up a blog there which summarized developments in open
access, open education, distance learning etc. There is a lot happening,
and almost nothing is exposed to the outer world. (And by doing so, the
person would automatically become the go to for Western academics and
journalists who want to learn more/collaborate).

Sorry if these musings aren't entirely on topic, but I guess the question
of how we spread ideas and information about research globally is related
to "open-science"...

Stian