[open-science] [Open-access] Open Science Anthology published

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Jan 24 05:38:19 UTC 2014

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 12:41 AM, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com>wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Heather Morrison <
> Heather.Morrison at uottawa.ca> wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much, Mark ~ just to be sure we are all clear on what you
>> are talking about, a question for you below ~
>>
>> It sounds to me like you are planning a service that involves charging
>> people to deliver open access articles. This would be similar to RightsLink
>> taking free open access articles and charging people for them. Am I getting
>> this right?
>>

> No.
>
> Mark
>
> Mark is completely right. RightsLink is a TaxCollecting service for
publishers. Nothing more. It adds no value to the author or user - in facts
it adds negative value by preventing easy re-use.

Publishers such as BMC and PLOS do not route users to RightsLink. They make
is clear in many obvious places that the reader has almost complete rights
- except that they have to acknowledge the author (CC-BY).

By contrast many publishers (especially of hybrids) put a prominent
"Request Permissions" on the splash page which takes people to RightsLink.
If the paper is CC-BY then RightsLink SHOULD display a notice saying "You
are free to use and reuse and redistribute this article without charge for
whatever purpose - see CC-BY licence". In practice many of them issues
charges via RightsLink for CC-BY articles. This is unacceptable and similar
to the many companies (as in UK PPI) who offer charged services for content
or services that the government make freely / openly available.

The commonest offender is Elsevier where CC-BY papers frequently link to
RightsLink and are charged. I have highlighted many examples on my blog (
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr) and Elsevier says it's "technical problems"
and "please give them time to fix it". It should never have happened. I
have no idea whether they refund money.