[open-science] [Open-access] Open Science Anthology published

Graham Triggs grahamtriggs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 27 20:40:12 UTC 2014

Well, Heather, there may be an interesting distinction there in how your
derivative is incorrect.

Under CC-BY, if you've modified the work (such as inserting a zero), then
you are required to state that the work has been modified (and even
indicate how). Failure to do so would be a breach of the license.

Furthermore, creating a derivative from a trusted source does not magically
imbue the derivative with trustworthiness. Nobody should ever be trusting a
derivative more than the level of review and checking that the derivative
itself has received.

And in the case of not pre-authorized derivatives, how many derivatives are
authorized based on checking the content of the derivative? In many cases,
it will simply be a purchased right, for a fee.

I have to agree with Mark. The biggest danger with misquoting /
misrepresenting work does not come from pre-authorizing derivatives, it
comes from not being able to check the original source. Whilst that does
not specifically require CC-BY, it does need a minimum of free distribution
and reading. And as that needs to be at least by the time a derivative
appears, it needs / might as well be immediate, and CC-BY,