[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 2 14:47:03 UTC 2014

I think re-use data will be very difficult to FOI. When I asked some
universities for restrictive clauses they said "we have lots of departments
and it is too expensive to ask them all". I'd guess that a substantial
amount of re-use payments were through departments - it will depend on how
centralised the universities are.

Note that re-use rights also occur through CCC which offers the e-payment
web site RightsLink. The bills here can be huge - I have no idea whether
many people pay them. Find your favourite TA publisher, and click on reuse
rights on the HTML landing page and simulate being an educator in the form.

P.