[open-science] Evaluation of open data portals in the academic space

Andy Turner A.G.D.Turner at leeds.ac.uk
Fri May 16 00:35:02 UTC 2014

A large part of what is on the web is deep and behind portal interfaces and in back end databases. I think that a key requirement for an Open Science Portal is to be able to surface things from within the portal and make these available publicly. You probably also want to have some data that you want to restrict access to. A fine grained/role based access control to content can be very useful. It is a few years since I worked with portals, but two that might be worth a look at are Sakai and LifeRay. I'm not sure what else is available and how it all compares, but I'm interested to learn. The AURIN portal first beta is being evaluated. I found it quite impressive, but I don't know if it is open source or what it is based on.
https://docs.aurin.org.au/
https://portal.aurin.org.au
https://apps.aurin.org.au/

HTH