[open-science] Big and open data – who should bear data transfer costs?

Raniere Silva raniere at riseup.net
Sat May 17 11:40:06 UTC 2014

> A practical question: If, as a researcher or a research
> organization, I want to publish a large data set and keep the "open"
> label, can I charge for data transfers (plus amortization costs of
> data storage), or do I have to cover them myself?

You can charge for data transfers.  Just keep in mind that if your data is open
the first one that "buy" the data can republish it for free.

> What are your thoughts?

I believe that you could find some organization that could host your large data
set for free.

Maybe you could make available your data using Academic Torrents [1].

Raniere

[1] http://academictorrents.com/