[open-science] Symposium: Open Science in human genomics research – challenges and inspirations

Fiona Nielsen fnielsen at dnadigest.org
Fri Nov 7 11:27:07 UTC 2014

Dear all,

[Apologies for cross-posting]

I am contacting you on behalf of DNAdigest to let you know about our
upcoming event that might be of interest to you and your colleagues.

DNAdigest <http://dnadigest.org/> is organizing a collaborative symposium
on the topic “Open Science in human genomics research – challenges and
inspirations” and kindly invites you to join
<https://dnadigestsym2014.eventbrite.co.uk> this day of collaborative
brainstorming.

The event <http://dnadigest.org/event/dna-digest-symposium-2014/> will
touch topics like open science, access to sequencing data, privacy concerns
around human genomic data, etc., and will be a combination of short
presentations from invited speakers, in the morning session, followed by
interactive discussion groups. The event will take place on the 22nd of
November at the Future Business Centre <http://futurebusinesscentre.co.uk/>,
Cambridge.

Confirmed speakers:

   -

   Manuel Corpas <http://manuelcorpas.com/>, will talk about how he as a
   citizen scientist has crowdfunded and crowdsourced the analysis of his
   personal genome.
   -

   Linda Briceno
   <http://www.publichealth.ox.ac.uk/helex/helex-staff/researchers/linda-briceno>,
   will share her thoughts on legal and ethical implications of data
   sharing in genomics.
   -

   Nick Sireau <http://www.findacure.org.uk/about-us/>, will talk about how
   scientists and patients can engage in collaborations, and how Open Science
   may be either beneficial or challenging in this context.
   -

   Tim Hubbard <http://www.sanger.ac.uk/research/faculty/thubbard/>, will
   present how Genomics England is engaging the research community in the 100k
   genomes project.

Feel free to forward this email to whoever you think might be interested.

Please, remember to sign up through Eventbrite page
<https://dnadigestsym2014.eventbrite.co.uk>!

Looking forward to seeing you in Cambridge!

All the best,

The DNAdigest team

--

*Fiona Nielsen*

Founder and CEO

+44 (0) 742 751 2155
fnielsen at dnadigest.org

*DNAdigest works to promote and enable easier and more efficient sharing of
genomics data for research. We educate and engage the community about the
hurdles and dilemmas for data sharing as faced from the perspective of
stakeholders in academia, industry and patient communities. As part of our
work we are working with our community and supporters to prototype new
mechanisms and concepts for data sharing and data access.*

*Please visit our website to learn more about our activities and events:*
http://DNAdigest.org
*From July 14th our new office address will be at the Future Business
Centre*

   - Future Business Centre Cambridge,
   - King’s Hedges Road,
   - Cambridge,
   - CB4 2HY

DNAdigest a Company Limited by Guarantee, registered as a charity in
England and Wales
Registered Address: c/o BCS, Windsor House, Station Court, Station Road, Great
Shelford, Cambridge, CB22 5NE, United Kingdom

Company Number: 08585251   Charity registration number: 1154095