[open-science] List etiquette on long threads (was Open Science Anthology published)

Jenny Molloy jenny.molloy at okfn.org
Tue Jan 28 18:40:50 UTC 2014

Hi All

Just a couple of list etiquette points

1) We were far away from the subject line in the previous thread, if those
starting new topics could change this to something more relevant and
reference the original subject it is much easier for subscribers to follow
(or not!) and later to find topics in the list archive. The previous
discussion could have been several distinct threads.

2) There are obviously strong personalities on this list and for that we
are very grateful because it makes for lively discussion about an area
where there is still considerable debate and a lot of thinking to do
(that's why we're all here!). In general you're great at self-regulation
but please bear in mind that if only a few people are contributing and
headway is not being made for whatever reason, it may be time to politely
discontinue, take discussions off-list or start a new thread on a more
constructive topic, citing this reason.

Thanks very much!

Jenny