[open-science] OSWG + OKFest ?

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Thu Mar 6 15:58:18 UTC 2014

Hi Stefan,

I would be very happy to participate in a geohackathon of any sort really.
I haven't thought of any specific idea as I have been focusing on text and
data mining, but now that you have sparked this thread, y'know what would
be nice -- to develop a set of tools that allow mining location info from
unstructured text. There have been many projects that do this (Google,
metacarta) but they are either not open source or haven't gotten the
momentum.

So, discovering lat/lon is easy. But, what if the text doesn't mention
lat/lon but says "Detroit"? Or, what if the text says "10 miles sw of Su
Zhou"?

In any case, I would certainly be up for participating, and particularly
enthusiastic if it builds into text mining.

On Thu, Mar 6, 2014 at 8:26 AM, Stefan Kasberger <mail at stefankasberger.at>wrote:

>  Hey,
>
> would love to do something around FOSSGIS, GeoData.
> There were some people (Puneet,...) discussing of an hackathon for this.
> Is there an update?
>
> Cheers, Stefan
>

> On 2014-03-06 06:22, Alexandre Hannud Abdo wrote:
>
> Ni!
>
> What are the news, thoughts or proposals regarding open science at OKFest?
>
> Should we coordinate, or should local groups start proposing activities
> by themselves?
>
> Can we start listing this stuff on the wiki? Perhaps here:
> http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Science/OKFest2014
>
> (unfortunately the OKN wiki requires login and has a really really mean
> captcha, but for now we'll survive)
>
> I saw the topic of OKFest2014 was listed in the last group call, which
> unfortunately I did not attend, but the pad says nothing in terms of
> what was discussed.
>
> []s
>
> ale
> .~´