[open-science] [Open-access] Elsevier: some facts, by Tim Gowers

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 2 10:33:29 UTC 2014

On Fri, May 2, 2014 at 11:01 AM, Tom Olijhoek <tom.olijhoek at gmail.com>wrote:

> Can you expand on the re-use fees? This is an additional cost to
>> subscriptions. Re-use payments are at least as problematic as
>> subscriptions. But even harder to get a handle on. (?more FOIs?)
>>
>> I would think that copyright law always includes fair use policy which
> applies especially to use for educational purposes?

Not as I understand it. There is no Fair Use in UK. Is there in NL? Using
photocopies of articles from journals, even if you subscribe, could land
you in court. University librarians often stick warning notices to
photocopiers in UK warning that (at best) it's purely private use.

Read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_use and weep.