[open-science] Big and open data – who should bear data transfer costs?

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sat May 17 13:52:14 UTC 2014

Sorry - I phrased my answer poorly. I did not mean that everyone must pay.
There always should be a basic free-of-charge service. However if people
cannot or do not want to use that then is is reasonable to charge for
making it available in easier-to-use forms.

We have recently found a comparable example in Free/Open software where the
code is distributed as GPL and anyone can download and compile it. However
this is technically difficult for people who don't know how to compile
code. The authors have made compiled versions available for a fee.

P.