[open-science] Citation advantage to providing code / software?

Carl Boettiger cboettig at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 19:36:59 UTC 2014

Dear list,

I'm aware of a handful of papers that have sought to quantify the
influence of publishing data, e.g. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0000308,
but I'm unaware of any study that has focused explicitly on those
papers providing code (against the relevant control-group), or
particularly those papers providing software packages (e.g. some
journals like Methods in Ecology and Evolution publish "Applications
Notes" about software that is intended for re-use, as well as
methodological descriptions that are not necessarily accompanied by
user-facing software).

Is anyone aware of such studies that could provide more information?

The closest thing I remember seeing was numbers of slightly higher
citations in articles in the Journal of Biostatistics that had
received their kitemark for providing code relative to those that had
not -- I believe in some work by Victoria Stodden but cannot seem to
find the reference.  (Regardless I believe the sample size was small).

Thanks again for any references or leads,

Carl

--
Carl Boettiger
UC Santa Cruz