[open-science] Geography 2050

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Oct 8 12:39:43 UTC 2014

The MapStory Foundation is proud to sponsor the Fall Symposium of the American Geographical Society - Geography 2050:  Mounting an Expedition to the Future.  They are calling it a "multi-year strategic dialog on the vital trends that will reshape our nation and our planet."  And, this inaugural event will be hosted by Columbia University's Earth Institute, in the historic Low Library Rotunda, on November 19th in NYC.  You can learn more about this forward looking dialog at  http://www.geography2050.org  , and you can even register and be part of it.

Most of the content within MapStory.org addresses the past and the present.  But, in celebration of this unique event, we at MapStory are offering a $1000 prize for whomever posts the best future oriented MapStory about how our world will change by 2050.  The use of scientifically validated data on future trends is encouraged.  Yet, the narrative elements of the story will be just as important.

While the financial incentive of the prize is notable, the winning MapStory will also be played at the Geography 2050 Fall Symposium for the thought leaders in attendance.  The content and themes of your MapStory submission do not need to adhere to those of this inaugural event, and instead can cover any trends and underlying factors that you deem to be important to the future of our planet.
To participate, just publish your MapStory and tweet it to @Geography2050 with the hasthag #MapStory2050. Deadline for submission is November 15th.

Details of the competition at
http://blog.mapstory.org/post/96990555021/win-1-000-by-mapping-the-future-in-support-of

MapStory is the Atlas of Change that everyone can edit.  MapStory is a place to unify and improve our shared knowledge about global change. Mapstory envision a world where everyone's wisdom can be tapped, peer reviewed and organised into a non-commercial global data commons that helps us all improve our understanding of global dynamics, worldwide, over the course of history. Details at http://mapstory.org

For those of you who are new to MapStory, i will recommend you to watch the webinar recording of the "Open Geospatial Science & Applications" webinar series on May 15th, 2014 by Dr. Christopher Tucker (Chairman, The MapStory Foundation) available at  http://mundogeo.com/webinar/opengeoscienceandapplications/mapstory/

On behalf of global ICA-OSGeo-ISPRS labs  http://www.geoforall.org/  we congratulate Chris and colleagues at Map Story Foundation for this excellent competition idea and we encourage all universities to promote this MapStory competition among their students.

Best wishes,

Suchith

may still contain software viruses which could damage your computer system, you are advised to perform your own checks. Email communications with the University of Nottingham may be monitored as permitted by UK legislation.