[open-science] Publication of In-Depth Content

Rens van der Heijden rens.vanderheijden at uni-ulm.de
Tue Jan 20 17:42:27 UTC 2015

Hi Florian,

On 20.01.2015 13:33, Florian Meier wrote:
> Often you can find some conference paper and an extended version at
> arXiv or elsewhere, but many of these are more initial versions of a
> paper with a few pages more than the final conference paper. So, though
> they provide some more details, they are already written to be suitable
> for submission (i.e. they leave out details and long proofs).
> Secondly, publishing an extended version of the same paper is difficult
> with regard to copyrights, self-plagiarism and last but not least
> confusing the reader who reads nearly the same paper twice.

This is a model actively used by the cryptographic community (although
the papers are posted at http://eprint.iacr.org/ instead). It seems to
work most of the time, though I've seen quite some criticism as well,
considering that often, proofs are moved to the "full version" (possibly
avoiding the full scrutiny of peer review).

Greetings,
Rens