[open-science] Publication of In-Depth Content

Florian Meier florian.meier at koalo.de
Tue Jan 20 22:03:23 UTC 2015

Hi Stephanie and Mike,
I have never heard about Supplementary Information in Computer Science,
but that does not mean anything. The concept as explained by you seems
to be exactly what I was thinking about (though, I have to imitate it
somehow).

In my opinion this approach is still advantageous, even without page
limits. Yes, a perfect researcher would be able to structure a single
paper well enough, but in reality the probability is high that very
specific implementation details are scattered throughout the text.
A similar problem can be seen with standard documents (ISO, DIN,
IEEE...). The nature of being a standard requires of course very
specific details, but it is quite difficult to get the overall picture.
Either way, the author should provide a clear distinction between
content for "curious readers" and content only needed to actually
implement it. If he puts the latter into a separate section, the
appendix or the SI should not matter a lot.

In my opinion, publishing material on a personal webpage should only be
the last resort. The probability of loosing the content is far too high
and there are so many good alternatives.

Greetings,
Florian

>>> Florian