[open-science] Last chance to apply for OpenCon 2016

Joseph Mcarthur joe at righttoresearch.org
Fri Jul 8 21:57:07 UTC 2016

Hi everyone,

A quick reminder that the OpenCon application period is mere days away from
closing. The conference cuts across the topics of Open Education and Open
Research (mainly Open Access and Open Data), so hopefully is of interest to
many here! Below you can find details about the event, and if you're still
unsure we've put together a blog post on all the reasons you should apply
<http://www.opencon2016.org/thinking_of_applying_to_opencon>!

My best,

Joe

###

Applications to attend OpenCon 2016 in Washington, DC on November 12-14 are
closing next Monday! You can apply now at www.opencon2016.org/apply
<https://secure.opencon2016.org/referral/mozilla>. OpenCon is a place for
the next generation to learn about Open Access, Open Education, and Open
Data, develop critical skills, and catalyze action toward a more open
system for sharing the world’s information. The application form includes
the option to request a full travel scholarship, which will be awarded to
most selected participants who require them to attend.

*Apply now <https://secure.opencon2016.org/referral/mozilla>*

Like previous years, OpenCon 2016 will feature a program of keynotes, panel
discussions, workshops, and hackathons on Open Access, Open Education, and
Open Data. Participants will build skills in key areas, network with
diverse attendees from dozens of nations around the world, and engage with
leading speakers. Speakers at the first two OpenCon conferences have
included Jimmy Wales (Co-founder of Wikipedia), Amy Rosenbaum (Director of
Legislative Affairs to the President of the United States), and Mike Eisen
and Pat Brown (Co-founders of PLOS).

Even in the final hours you can still help us spread the word about OpenCon
2016 by encouraging your friends and colleagues to apply! If you share
these posts on Facebook and Twitter (or write your own); forward this email
to others or to relevant email lists.

OpenCon is more than just a conference - it’s also a community. We use the
application process to connect applicants with opportunities for
collaboration, local events in your area, and scholarship opportunities to
attend other relevant conferences. We hope that you can become an active
part of the community by joining our discussion list
<http://opencon2015.org/community/discussion>, tuning in for our
monthly community
calls <http://www.opencon2016.org/community_calls> and webcasts
<http://www.opencon2016.org/community_webcasts>, or hosting an OpenCon
satellite event <http://www.opencon2016.org/satellite> in your region.

This weekend we hope you’ll apply this year
<https://secure.opencon2016.org/referral/mozilla>,

Nick Shockey, Nicole Allen and Joe McArthur,
On behalf of the OpenCon 2016 Organizing Committee
<http://www.opencon2016.org/about_organizingcommittee>