[open-science] UK text mining exception: sci-hub

P Kishor punk.kish at gmail.com
Fri Jul 8 16:21:39 UTC 2016

Let me give another analogy:

I like drinking coffee and I can legally buy coffee from my local supermarket. But I am not allowed to buy “illegally” obtained coffee from the country across the border. My local supermarket makes it difficult for me to buy coffee so I figure out a way to get it from across the border. If doing so is illegal in my country then yes, I am committing a crime. I am not commenting on whether or not it is the right thing to do. I am just commenting whether or not it is illegal. If the law of your country thinks that sci-hub got the papers illegally then very likely you will be committing a crime getting papers from sci-hub.