[open-science] UK text mining exception: sci-hub

Jackson da Silva Medeiros jackson.medeiros at ufrgs.br
Sat Jul 9 12:27:25 UTC 2016

Let me put my 50 cents problematization: So, if I have cable TV, and
I pay for that, and I like to watch Simpsons at night... But, I got a
dinner with friends and, DAMN IT!, I lost the best Simpsons episode
ever... If I get home and download the episode from a torrent, am I a
lawbreaker?

Just curiosity by analogy.
---

Jackson da Silva
Medeiros
UFRGS/FABICO/DCI

Em 08/07/2016 13:46, P Kishor escreveu:

yeah, just because you have the right to get something via legal means
doesn't mean you also have the right to get it via illegal means just
because your legal source ist kaput temporarily.

>> On Jul 8, 2016,
at 12:20 PM, Maximilian Haeussler <maximilianh at gmail.com [2]> wrote: The
hypothetical situation I describe is: UK-based researcher, has fulltext
access, cannot get fulltext due to technical circumstances that make
crawling hard. So, I understand from your reply that the copyright
exception applies only if you get the papers through legal means. Makes
sense. It doesn't apply to me, I just asked out of curiosity. Thanks!
Max On Fri, Jul 8, 2016 at 9:15 AM, P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com [3]>
wrote:

>>> Is sci-hub legal in your country? If yes, then it is
legal for you get papers from sci-hub. If not, then it is not legal for
you to get papers from sci-hub. You always break the laws of the country
where you are located, and those who believe are harmed by your action
have the recourse to sue you in your country because that is where you
have broken the law.

Haeussler <maximilianh at gmail.com [1]> wrote: I have a naive question
about copyright, sorry, and just out of curiosity: If a UK-based
researcher is crawling papers but has trouble getting them because of
anti-bot techniques (e.g. Karger), is it legal for her to crawl the
papers from sci-hub instead?

Links:
------
[1]