[open-science] UK text mining exception: sci-hub

William Waites ww at eris.okfn.org
Sat Jul 9 13:09:24 UTC 2016

P Kishor <punk.kish at gmail.com> writes:

> Now, what I don’t know is if I can be arrested/sued if I visit Brazil.

This varies by country. Some countries, noteably the US and UK, assert
that some or all of their laws apply globally. I don't know about Brazil
in particular.

Also there is the principle of choice of law when the parties are in
different places. Normally the courts of *either* place would have
jurisdiction. So you could get a court order or judgement in Brazil
where the person was `wronged'. Probably the courts of Nocopyrightistan
would not enforce that court order if they were asked to. But if you
then travel to Brazil (or to a country where Brazil *does* have a treaty
that would give effect to its court orders) then it could be
implemented.

That kind of process is slow and complicated and expensive though. I
tend to doubt that it would happen in practice unless you managed to
make someone powerful very very angry.

-w