[open-science] OpenCon2017 London - Blog Competition

Tony Ross-Hellauer tross at know-center.at
Thu Oct 19 12:44:58 UTC 2017

Dear all,

(With apologies for cross-posting)

To coincide with our OpenCon London satellite event (opencon2017.org/opencon_2017_london) on 21st November, Know-Center, Digital Science and ScienceOpen are excited to team up with Authorea to announce an essay competition for short blog posts on this year’s Open Access Week theme of “Open in order to …”. This theme is an invitation to answer the question of what concrete benefits can be realized by making scholarly research outputs openly available. “Open in order to…” serves as a prompt to move beyond talking about openness in itself and focus on what openness enables-in an individual discipline, at a particular institution, or in a specific context; then to take action to realize these benefits.

Your post, of no more than 750 words, should tell us what drives you towards open practices. What does openness help you to achieve that you couldn’t do otherwise? “Open in order to increase the impact of my scholarship.” “Open enables more equitable participation in research.” “Open helps to improve public health.” These are just a few examples of how this question can be answered - we hope you’ll come up with many other interesting answers!

Submissions will be via Authorea: https://www.authorea.com/users/111970/articles/206557-announcing-opencon2017-london-blog-competition

The deadline is 10th November 17.00 CET, so that all submissions will be open online for the kick-off of the main OpenCon event in Berlin. Voting will then take place for 10 days via a Google Form. The winner will then be announced on November 21st at OpenCon London, and awarded a cash prize (made up of all the money received from the nominal entrance fee we’re charging to try to make sure those who sign up turn up!)

Please spread the word - and if there are any questions, please ask!

With best wishes,

Laura Wheeler, Jon Tennant, Josh Nicholson and Tony Ross-Hellauer

[Know-Center-GmbH]

Tony Ross-Hellauer, MA(Hons), MSc, PhD
Senior Researcher (Open Science)
Social Computing

Know-Center GmbH
Research Center for Data-Driven Business & Big Data Analytics
Inffeldgasse 13, 6th floor, 8010 Graz, Austria
Phone +43-316-873-32800 Fax +43-316-873-1030815
tross at know-center.at<mailto:tross at know-center.at> www.know-center.at <http://www.know-center.tugraz.at/>

▶ KNOW-CENTER NEWS<http://www.know-center.tugraz.at/news-presse/news/>   |   ▶ i-KNOW NEWS<http://i-know.tugraz.at/>