[open-science] The Center for Open Science and EarthArXiv Launch Branded Preprint Service

Rusty Speidel rusty at cos.io
Wed Oct 25 14:38:46 UTC 2017

Oct. 25, 2017

Charlottesville, VA

The Center for Open Science (COS) and EarthArXiv have launched a new
preprint service for the earth sciences, sources for both organizations
announced today. The new service, called EarthArXiv <http://eartharxiv.org/>,
provides free, open access, open source archives for the earth sciences.

EarthArXiv is the fifteenth community preprint service built on COS’s
flagship platform, the Open Science Framework <https://osf.io/>, which
helps researchers design and manage their project workflow, data storage,
DOIs, and collaboration. COS has leveraged that platform to help research
communities in many disciplines discover new research as it happens and to
receive quick feedback on their own research prior to publication.

The community preprints platform from COS provides organizations that want
to launch their own preprints service an easy, robust, and stable solution.
The platform can be configured to match their brand, editorial focus,
licensing requirements, and taxonomy. Once configured, a new service can be
up and indexing new preprints in a matter of days. COS is currently
supporting branded services in psychology, sociology, engineering,
agriculture, social sciences, imaging, paleontology, sports research,
contemplative research, law, library and information science, nutrition and
an Indonesian preprint service.

Over 2 million preprints have been already indexed from a variety of
sources and can be accessed by selecting a subject of interest, entering
specific search terms, or browsing the preprints most recently added to the
service. Preprint contributors are also encouraged to include links to
their research, if available. If the preprint is associated with an
existing OSF project, that project can also be easily accessed and
explored. OSF Preprints uses SHARE <http://www.share-research.org/> to
aggregate search results from a variety of other preprint providers like
arXiv <http://arxiv.org/>, bioRXiv <http://biorxiv.org/>, PeerJ
<http://peerj.com/>, CogPrints <http://cogprints.org/> and others into its
archive.

“EarthArXiv is excited to partner with the Center for Open Science on the
technical implementation of our preprint system, said Thomas Narock,
EarthArXiv’s co-founder. “We have two major goals in starting
EarthArXiv--providing a physical preprint infrastructure for all Earth
science domains not currently publishing preprints elsewhere, and bringing
together all interested parties, regardless of where they publish
preprints, to discuss topics surrounding scholarly publishing. With today’s
public launch of EarthArXiv we have accomplished the first goal. We are
excited to begin work on the second goal along with COS and the more than
100 international EarthArXiv volunteers who have come forward thus far.”

“COS is proud to provide the public-goods infrastructure to drive discovery
and faster dissemination in the Earth sciences,” adds Matt Spitzer,
Community Manager at the Center for Open Science. “EarthArXiv represents
the kind of community-led effort that COS, and our efforts with OSF
Preprints specifically, is built to serve. Several different groups, and
hundreds of researchers from all stages of career, came together to support
this effort. This group, and others that join it, will lead the way for
community-driven scholarly communication and standards of practice.”

Interview with the founders of EarthArXiv
<http://cos.io/blog/community-driven-science-interview-eartharxiv-founders-chris-jackson-tom-narock-and-bruce-caron/>
.

###

*About Center for Open Science*

The Center for Open Science <http://cos.io/> (COS) is a non-profit
technology startup founded in 2013 with a mission to increase openness,
integrity, and reproducibility of scientific research. COS pursues this
mission by building communities around open science practices, supporting
metascience research, and developing and maintaining free, open source
software tools. The Open Science Framework <http://osf.io/> (OSF), COS’s
flagship product, is a web application that connects and supports the
research workflow, enabling scientists to increase the efficiency and
effectiveness of their research. Researchers use the OSF to collaborate,
document, archive, share, and register research projects, materials, and
data. Learn more at cos.io <http://cos.io/> and osf.io <http://osf.io/>.

*About EarthArXiv*

EarthArXiv is comprised of over 100 international volunteers who share an
interest in open, reproducible science. We have seen the benefits that
preprints bring to other domains and hope to do the same for Earth
sciences. The name EarthArXiv is intentionally vague and represents our
multi and trans-disciplinary scope. We aim to provide a preprint home for
all Earth science domains not currently publishing preprints elsewhere.
This includes all sub-domains of Earth science as well as computational,
data, and instrumentation research relevant to the Earth sciences. We aim
to bring together a broad and diverse group of academics and professionals
to discuss topics surrounding scholarly publishing and open access.

*Contacts for the Center for Open Science*

Media: Rusty Speidel: rusty at cos.io | 434-284-3403

Starting a Branded Preprint Service: Matt Spitzer: matt.spitzer at cos.io

Web: https://cos.io/preprints

Twitter: @osframework

*Contact for EarthArXiv*

Media: Tom Narock and Chris Jackson, co-founders of EarthArXiv

Tom Narock, Notre Dame of Maryland University, tnarock at ndm.edu

Chris Jackson, Imperial College, London, c.jackson at imperial.ac.uk

Web: Preprint submissions and general contact: http://eartharxiv.org/

Twitter: @EarthArXiv