[open-science] Why are we leaving it to Google?

Peter Kraker pkraker at openknowledgemaps.org
Mon Sep 10 13:29:04 UTC 2018

As you may have heard, Google is building a search engine for datasets
(https://www.blog.google/products/search/making-it-easier-discover-datasets/).
This means yet another proprietary index on top of our own data that
nobody can reuse - and another inferior list-based interface that will
be pushed onto scientists by Google's sheer market dominance.

At the same time, there is no funding for a community-driven open source
alternative. We should not leave the field to Google, or science will be
poorer for it! We finally need to invest in a true open science
contender for research data discovery. This would bring meaningful
competition to this space and drive innovation.

This is why we have launched the #DontLeaveItToGoogle campaign. I
encourage you to add your own voice to the discussion using this
hashtag. It’s time to change the way we discover research - not
perpetuate the same proprietary model time and time again!

https://twitter.com/PeterKraker/status/1039122274518007808
https://twitter.com/PeterKraker/status/1039122276623503360

Best,
Peter

--
Dr. Peter Kraker
Founder & Chairman, Open Knowledge Maps

Skype: peter_kraker
Twitter: https://twitter.com/PeterKraker
Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/dvQeGP

It's time to change the way we discover research!