[open-science] The political and social impact of journals and the research they communicate

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Sep 6 08:13:04 UTC 2018

Thanks Sarita,
This is really welcome - sorry I can't attend. I am completely
disillusioned with branded journals whether open/closed profit/non_profit .
I have expressed my sickness in
https://www.slideshare.net/petermurrayrust/scientific-search-for-everyone
where I try to challenge the appalling APCs . It costs 10 USD to publish a
manuscript - arxiv, research.one, biorxiv, JMLR, - often the prices is 0 to
authors and 0 to readers but there is a small cost.
But Springer charge 1900 and over 50% of that goes to shareholders and
corporate inefficiency / bloat / branding (see slides).

I have been an admirer of SciELO and would be honoured to have published in
it. It should be the way forward.

When the mess of scholarly publishing collapses, people will want a new
place to publish and surely it should include SciELO.

We are now in the position to build our own infrastructure for publishing
in a modern manner. Many of the pieces are already there. Unpaywall
provides a critical mass of historic manuscripts, *rxiv provide the new,
and I's like to see SciELO there.

In ContentMine we build the tools of liberation, and I have now created a
universal Open search engine which is zillions of times better than TR or
Clarivate because it does what scientists want, empowers the reader as well
as the author, and makes science discoverable. It's flexible - easily
localized and community-oriented.

I would love to see it helping make SciELO better than the tired sick
Western publishers.

Factual questions:
How many articles per year does SciELO publish?
What formats are they in ? (we can index PDF)
What languages? - can they all be represented by Unicode?

P.

On Mon, Sep 3, 2018 at 11:50 PM Sarita Albagli <sarita.albagli at gmail.com>
wrote:

> In September 2018, the SciELO Program will celebrate 20 years of operation
> and will organize the  SciELO 20 Years Conference
> <https://www.scielo20.org/en/>, with the purpose of discussing the
> alignment of SciELO journals and operations with open science emerging
> communication practices and values.   The Scielo Programme is a pioneer in
> the OA movement in Brazil and Latin America, notably in the indexing of
> national quality journals and in the publication of full texts of open
> and free access.
>
> I was invited to head a Panel on “The political and social impact of
> journals and the research they communicate
> <https://www.scielo20.org/en/panels/p4-1-1/#1521832077831-c8dae681-e2a4>”,
> as part of the preparatory discussions of the conference, for which the
> following contributions have already been made and published:
>
> CHAN, L. SciELO, Open Infrastructure and Independence [online]. SciELO in
> Perspective, 2018 [viewed 03 September 2018]. Available at:
> https://blog.scielo.org/en/2018/09/03/scielo-open-infrastructure-and-independence/
>
> NEYLON, C. The Local and the Global: Puncturing the myth of the
> “international” journal [online]. SciELO in Perspective, 2018 [viewed 03
> September 2018]. Available at:
> https://blog.scielo.org/en/2018/09/03/the-local-and-the-global-puncturing-the-myth-of-the-international-journal/
>
> VESSURI, H. Do the article and scientific journals have a future?
> [online]. SciELO in Perspective, 2018 [viewed 20 August 2018]. Available at:
>
> https://blog.scielo.org/en/2018/08/20/do-the-article-and-scientific-journals-have-a-future/
>
> Comments on the posts are welcome on the blog!
>
> Sarita Albagli
>
> Senior Researcher
> Brazilian Institute of Information in Science and Technology - IBICT

Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry