[open-science] Why are we leaving it to Google?

Bosman, J.M. (Jeroen) j.bosman at uu.nl
Mon Sep 10 19:53:53 UTC 2018

Some observations:

1) Google is hardly the first, we've already got:
- Elsevier datasearch (commercially owned, free for now, not open) https://datasearch.elsevier.com/#/
- Datacite search (non-profit, community governed, with API, free but not entirely open): https://search.datacite.org
- Worldwidescience dataset filter (publicly owned, free, not open): https://worldwidescience.org/
- Data Citation Index from Clarivate (commercially owned, costly, closed): https://clarivate.com/products/web-of-science/web-science-form/data-citation-index/
and also some (many?) field sepecific data search engines, such as:
- BioCaddie/Datamed (publicly owned, free): https://biocaddie.org/  / https://datamed.org/
- Neuroscience Information Framework (publicly owned, free): https://neuinfo.org/data/search?q=*&l=#all

2) All of these search engines have their strengths and weaknesses, particularly due to limited and varying metadata. Hope to do a more thorough assessment of these and others sometime.

3) Google Scholar probably is not the largest scholarly search engine anymore. That is quite possibly LENS, built on the (open) data from MAS and Pubmed.

But this is getting a bit off topic. My point is we are luckily not leaving it entirely up to Google. Also we should separate the quality/functionality of the Google dataset search (it is probably too early to assess that) from the problems deriving from the fact that it is closed, lacks an API etc.. And yes, it would be great to have an entirely open system for dataset search next to these existing ones.

Jeroen Bosman
Utrecht University Library