[open-science] [OpenCon] Re: Why are we leaving it to Google?

Naomi Penfold n.penfold at elifesciences.org
Tue Sep 11 10:54:16 UTC 2018

Hi Peter, and all,

I mirror your concerns about Google's market dominance potentially steering
researchers to a product that is not helpful for increasing transparency
and access to science.

When considering an alternative, DataCite and DataVerse
<https://dataverse.org/> seem to me to be well positioned in this space.

Is there anything about https://www.re3data.org/search that you find
insufficient for these goals? What are your requirements for improving
discoverability of open research data? Which of these are met and not met
with Google dataset search and re3data?

Best,
Naomi

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 11:18 AM Peter Kraker <pkraker at openknowledgemaps.org>
wrote:

> I am all for building a contender to Dataset Search! But let‘s build it on
> top of existing services, such as BASE that already index datasets. Then
> integrate it with Open Knowledge Maps, Hypothes.is, ContentMine, WikiCite,
> OSF and the rest of the open science ecosystem.
> Then we would have true contender to the proprietary Googleverse.
>
> The pieces are already there - but who will fund their integration?
>
> Best,
> Peter
>
> > On 10.09.2018, at 22:49, Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> >

> > I don't have a problem with Google indexing public datasets. I work with
> Crystallogrophy Open Database which has indexed 350K data sets. What I take
> exception to is the way that Big Corporations can buy privileged access to
> paywalled datasets and publications.
> >
> > I have a tool which will index science (chemistry, crystallography,
> phylogenetic trees etc.) much better than Google (which doesn't do these)
> but I am not allowed to use it. So  Google and Clarivate are handed a
> monopoly on indexing the literature even though I can do it better. What is
> even worse is the way that some publishers (Elsevier) take public data
> (crystallography) and put it behind the accessWall of the Cambridge
> Crystallographic Data Centre. Authors think they are making there data
> Open, They are not, It's being monopolised by CCDC who sells it by
> subscription and lets 1% or less out to the rest of the world.
> >
> > I am sure there are many more of these cartels and monopolies.
> >
> > I am happy to hear from others who want to build an alternative search
> engine to closed monopolists of the scholarly literature because we can do
> it better.
> >

> > --
> > Peter Murray-Rust
> > Reader Emeritus in Molecular Informatics
> > Unilever Centre, Dept. Of Chemistry
> > University of Cambridge
> > CB2 1EW, UK
> > +44-1223-763069 <+44%201223%20763069>
>
> --
> OpenCon is empowering the next generation to advance Open Access, Open
> Data and Open Education. This group is for participants of the conference
> and community, either in person, at satellite events or through the
> webcasts, videos (etc) to interact, share updates, ideas and discuss
> relevant topics. So please, join in the discussion! We would love to hear
> about projects you're working on, questions you've got, news and events.
>
> New to the list? Say hello: http://bit.ly/SayHelloToOpenCon. Your first
> post will be moderated (only because otherwise we get spam).
> OpenCon code of conduct: opencon2015.org/code_of_conduct
>
> Want even more? Check out our other community initiatives:
> OpenCon2015.org/community
> ---
> "OpenCon Discussion List" group.
> email to opencon-discussion-list+unsubscribe at googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to
> opencon-discussion-list at googlegroups.com.
> [...]

Naomi Penfold
Innovation Officer

Explore open-source tools and technologies for research communication at
elifesciences.org/labs.

Have ideas for new tools and resources to improve the research workflow?
Find me @eLifeInnovation on Twitter <https://twitter.com/elifeinnovation>
 and @npscience on Gitter <https://gitter.im/npscience>.

+44 1223 855372

http://elifesciences.org

eLife Sciences Publications, Ltd is a limited liability non-profit
non-stock corporation incorporated in the State of Delaware, USA, with
company number 5030732, and is registered in the UK with company number
FC030576 and branch number BR015634 at the address First Floor, 24 Hills
Road, Cambridge CB2 1JP.