[open-science] New introductory video for Module 5 of the Open Science MOOC

Jon Tennant jon.tennant.2 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 09:16:17 UTC 2019

Dear list members,

With profuse apologies for any cross-posting.

I wanted to alert you all to a new introductory video that is now online
for the Open Science MOOC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fwGliIyAZs&

This video will help to answer a key question: Why is Open Source Software
important for you and your research? It provides a surprisingly human
introduction to the pilot module on open research software and open source,
and stars Peter Murray-Rust, Heidi Seibold, Konrad Förstner, Anna
Kostikova, Ina Smith and Abby Cabunoc Mayes
<https://www.linkedin.com/feed/topic/?keywords=%23OpenHeroes>#OpenHeroes

Just as a quick reminder, the MOOC is:

   - Totally free for anyone to participate
   - Based on openly licensed content (which means all of it can be re-used
   outside the MOOC platform itself too)
   - Certified upon completion
   - Developed completely in the open and volunteer-driven
   - More of a peer-to-peer learning community than a unidirectional
   'course'
   - Available online here:
   https://eliademy.com/catalog/oer/module-5-open-research-software-and-open-source.html
   (an open source platform, of course)
   - Not run on the Blockchain

If anyone has any questions, comments, or would like to know more about any
of this, please do get in touch! We're, er, open for feedback.

Here's to an Open future!

Jon
<https://www.linkedin.com/feed/topic/?keywords=%23OpenHeroes>

*  Nomadic Palaeontologist, Rogue Open Scientist; PhD, MEarthSci, MSc*

   - Founder of the *Open Science MOOC
   <https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e> *

<https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e>

   - Founder of *paleorXiv* <https://paleorxiv.org/>, a free digital
   publishing platform for Palaeontology
   - Companion Website <https://paleorxiv.github.io/>
   - Independent open science communicator and consultant
   <http://fossilsandshit.com/open-scholarship/>
   - Author of Excavate! Dinosaurs
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excavate-Dinosaurs-Paper-Toy-Palaeontology/dp/178240144X>
and