[open-science] Plan S – Time to decide what we stand for

Jon Tennant jon.tennant.2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 12:40:25 UTC 2019

Hi folks,

Greetings from Germany, und mit Entschuldigung für cross-posting.

I just wanted to draw your attention to a new post on the LSE Impact Blog,
where I have tried to reflect on the debate around Plan S over the last few
months:
https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2019/03/05/plan-s-time-to-decide-what-we-stand-for/

It has been fascinating to watch and be part of, and this post discusses
some of the history of OA, tone and quality of communication, surfacing of
vested interests, and more. There is also a link to the full, unadulterated
version of this post linked to at the bottom (warning, PG-13).

I hope some of you find it useful, and I would love to discuss any aspects
of it further. Likewise, if anyone else has similar thoughts after
reflecting on Plan S, please do let me know! :)

Schönen Tag!

Jon
*Nomadic Palaeontologist, Rogue Open Scientist; PhD, MEarthSci, MSc*

*Latest paper*: Open Science in Dinosaur Paleontology
<https://paleorxiv.org/wzfpb>

   - Founder of the Open Science MOOC -
* Join us today
   <https://eliademy.com/catalog/oer/module-5-open-research-software-and-open-source.html>!
   *

<https://eliademy.com/catalog/catalog/product/view/sku/02d7338a7e>

   - Founder of *paleorXiv* <https://paleorxiv.org/>, a free, open source
   digital publishing platform for all Palaeontology research
   - Companion Website <https://paleorxiv.github.io/>
   - Independent open science communicator and consultant
   <http://fossilsandshit.com/open-scholarship/>
   - Author of Excavate! Dinosaurs
      <http://www.amazon.co.uk/Excavate-Dinosaurs-Paper-Toy-Palaeontology/dp/178240144X>
and