[open-science] OKFN Open Science Mailing List will close on 31 Jan 2020 - where to next?

Tom Moritz tom.moritz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 05:06:52 UTC 2019

I would think the Internet Archive is an obvious site for archiving the
OKFN...?
Tom Moritz

On Sun, Nov 17, 2019 at 8:40 AM Jenny Molloy <jcmcoppice12 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
>
> Open Knowledge Foundation will be closing down their mailman lists by
> January 31st, 2020 (I copy below the reasons for the decision for those who
> are interested, I was emailed along with a couple of others because we're
> "list owners" on mailman). Instead they will focus on offering a Discourse
> forum (https://discuss.okfn.org) which already has an open science
> category: https://discuss.okfn.org/c/working-groups/open-science
>
> There are two things for members of this list to think about:
> 1 - where are the important conversations on open science happening now?
> What new lists should we join as this one closes and are there gaps that
> need to be filled?
> 2 - where to preserve the list archives? Open Knowledge Foundation do not
> plan to do so publicly and there is value (I think) in preserving
> conversations dating back 12 years to a time when open science was at a
> completely different level of development. If anyone has ideas or could
> help with archiving that would be great - I have asked for a copy to be
> kept but I don't know in what form it will arrive!
>
> As a very early member of this list I think it played an important role in
> developing an open science community that has spun into many active and
> exciting communities around the world. Moving on is not a bad thing and
> there are so many more communication channels to connect on open science
> topics than back in 2008 - I'd love to hear your recommendations!
>
> Jenny
>
> The decision has come about for three reasons:
>
>    1. Managing the mailing lists and keeping the infrastructure up to
>    date represents an effort in terms of resources and administration time
>    that Open Knowledge Foundation is unable to meet going forward.
>    2. GDPR: EU legislation now requires us to have an active and current
>    knowledge of the data held on our websites, as well as the consent of the
>    subscribers regarding the use of their personal data, to ensure GDPR
>    compliance. Unfortunately, Mailman mailing lists don’t comply with this
>    Directive, which means we can’t use this tool any more.
>    3. We are currently implementing a new strategy within Open Knowledge
>    Foundation which will focus the organisation on several key themes, namely
>    Education, Health and Work. We want to keep fostering conversations but let
>    groups choose what the best platform is for that.

*Tom Moritz1968 1/2 South Shenandoah Street, Los Angeles, California
90034-1208  USA+1 310 963 0199 (cell) [GMT -8]tommoritz
(Skype)http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmoritz
<http://www.linkedin.com/in/tmoritz>*

“Πάντα ῥεῖ καὶ οὐδὲν μένει” (Everything flows, nothing stands still.) --
*Heraclitus *
"It is . . . easy to be certain. One has only to be sufficiently vague." --
C.S. Peirce
"Kathambhutassa me rattindiva vitipatanti" (“The days and nights are
relentlessly passing; how well am I spending my time?”)  -- *"Ten Subjects
for Frequent Recollection by One Who Has Gone Forth"*
*"Il faut imaginer Sisyphe heureux."  ("One must imagine Sisyphus happy.")
-- Camus*