[open-sustainability] Fantastic post

Robert Rattle robert14robert at yahoo.ca
Mon Dec 3 17:23:30 UTC 2012

Thank you for posting Milica, and for the organisers in setting up this list!

I was not able to attend the workshop, but suspected many exciting developments would emerge.

As many of you may know, Canada has been regressing in terms of
environmental, social and sustainability policies in the last few
years.  A new petition is now available for Americans (should any be on
this list) to sign - and for anyone to pass along to our US colleagues and friends - requesting the White
House investigate Canada under article 1114(2) of NAFTA in regards to
the Canadian tar sands developments and other regressive environmental
policies.

I cannot vouch for the petition or its details, but
it does come from a reliable source.  Please consider as there have been
 many harmful changes made to federal
 legislation and practices in Canada that is already causing harm to
sustainable development and the reputation of Canada as a former leader
in these areas.

Details of the petition are as follows (NAFTA = North American Free
Trade Agreement) (note the December 20 deadline for signatures):

Please
 sign the White House petition at the following link, asking the Obama
Administration to seek consultations with Canada under NAFTA Article
1114(2), regarding Canada's environmental backsliding.  This is exactly
the kind of race to the bottom that NAFTA was meant to prevent - and
consultations is NAFTA's only remedy.  If the petition receives enough
signatures by December 20, the White House will publish a response to
it!

Please share this petition far and wide as well -
with email lists, social media, whatever works! (I apologize for
cross-mailings and thank those of you who have already signed.)

Anyone with a US zip code can sign.

http://wh.gov/Xu4I

Here's some more information about this petition:
Object to Canada weakening its environmental law by initiating
consultations under NAFTA Article 1114In NAFTA Art. 1114(2) the Parties agreed not to encourage investment by
relaxing health, safety or environmental measures. Nonetheless, in recent
years Canada weakened the Canadian Environmental Assessment Act, the
Fisheries Act, and other laws in order to promote investment in tar sands
development and other resource extraction.  NAFTA Art. 1114(2) lets the US
seek consultations with Canada in order to resolve these violations.  Unless
the US rigorously objects to Canada's infringement of Chapter 11, the US
will seriously undermine the legitimacy of NAFTA and the many trade deals
since that include similar language. NAFTA was supposedly the most
environmental trade deal ever, and this provision to prevent a race to the
bottom was key.  The US must enforce it for NAFTA to stay credible.