[open-sustainability] Open AMEE data

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Mon Nov 26 11:51:40 UTC 2012

Hey guys,

You all know AMEE, the platform for running carbon calculation methodologies. It was a great thing, and had a good run, but I suspect that it's winding down and the data is not being maintained as much as it should. It was never an Open project, and suffered from not getting submissions of new data from the outside, but I still think it's a very useful resource to have around.

AMEE have now open sourced their datasets at https://github.com/AMEE/datasets, and ex-employees have defined a better open standard for executable data (https://github.com/spatchcock/calcJSON), and a conversion tool to go from one to the other (https://github.com/Floppy/connery).

The nice thing is that the calcJSON format means you don't need an API platform to use the data, so it makes it possible for a voluntary effort to take over the AMEE data and maintain it in an open way just using github, and extend it to include other datasets that it never had before.

I'd love to find a way to make this happen, as the resource that's there is too good to stay locked up and slowly dying. Anyone interested, and more importantly, able to put in any time?

cheers,
James