[open-sustainability] Data Explorer Mission on Carbon Data

Tyler Christie tyler at amee.com
Mon Apr 15 18:51:37 UTC 2013

Hi all

This is a great initiative and I thought I'd chip in to share the carbon
emissions data on every UK company now public on amee's site (www.amee.com).
While your focus appears to be country scale perhaps this would still be
useful?

Over the years amee has been aggregating data for calculating carbon
emissions. Now we have combined that knowledge with business information to
model emissions for businesses and score them according to efficiency. We
have also aggregated all publicly reported UK company carbon data.

We are starting with the UK but plan to expand internationally later this
year. So on the site you'll now find the following for all UK businesses:

   - Carbon emissions public reported (eg to CDP or CRC)
   - Carbon emissions modelled by amee (using energy consumption data for
   +250,000 companies obtained via 5 utilties)
   - Company information (revenue, employees, industry, location, company
   registration #)
   - CSR reports if publicly available
   - Also water and waste data (for the few companies that have publicly
   reported)

The amee score is a purely quantitative metric resulting from a company's
emissions divided by its turnover and then ranked from 1-100 relative to
industry peers.

We are always looking for feedback, new environmental data in the UK and
beyond, and others collaborate with to help open up this data. Have a look
and let us know if we can help!

Cheers,

Tyler

On 9 April 2013 12:30, Lucy Chambers <lucy.chambers at okfn.org> wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> Next week - the School of Data team will pilot a Data Explorer Mission
> with P2PU. This is a way to get people to explore a topic, while at the
> same time building their data skills through experimentation and doing.
>
> In light of Hans Rosling's speech at OKFestival, the topic of this first
> data explorer mission is Carbon data, and we're reverse engineering a
> guardian article published a while back on the topic. and encouraging
> people to see new angles in the data and tell a story with them. For the
> first time, we're piloting our badging system as well...
>
> We're aiming to start quite basic, but the mission can get as ambitious as
> the participants desire as they will all be working towards some kind of
> project.
>
> I wondered whether this would be of interest to anyone from the
> open-sustainability group? Possible ways to get involved could be:
>
> 1) Participating in an expedition group (groups kept to around 10 people),
> so it could be really handy to have people who know the topic and could
> guide or facilitate with topic-specific knowledge
> 2) Writing some guest blog posts on what the juicy / tricky parts in
> carbon data are that people should look out for, which we could feature on
> the School of Data blog
> 3) Being willing to answer topic-specific questions if people have them!
> 4) We're starting with some basic data (
> https://docs.google.com/a/okfn.org/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AonYZs4MzlZbdFF1QW00ckYzOG0yWkZqcUhnNDVlSWc&hl=en#gid=1),
> but it would be super useful to know if there are any key or more up-to
> date datasources we should point people to
>
> Every exploration group will be different and we hope to see some great
> projects coming out the other end,
>
> Looking forward to it nd would love to hear the group's thoughts, You can
> reach the team on schoolofdata at okfn.org !
>
> Lucy
>
> --
> *Project Coordinator*
> School of Data <http://schoolofdata.org/> and
> OpenSpending <http://openspending.org/>
> Projects of the Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/>
> Support our work <http://okfn.org/support/>.

amee
Vice President, Product and Market Solutions

email: tyler at amee.com
phone: +44.0755.468.3359
skype: tyleratamee
twitter: tylerchristie