[open-sustainability] Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP)

Maya Forstater hiyamaya at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:10:40 UTC 2013

It is high-time that the CDP data was made more open and accessible.

I think the CDP has done a great job in getting a first round of carbon
disclosure over the past ten years, and making the case for mandatory
disclosure.

Some of the data is not released because companies report it on that
condition, but even the data which is made public is made unusable because
it is locked into tables in the back of the annual CDP reports (pdfs...)
https://www.cdproject.net/en-US/Results/Pages/reports.aspx

The CDP is perhaps constrained by a business model developed before the
idea of open data really took off.

But I think as a first step the existing public data should be made
available in csv format for non-commercial and research purposes.

I think that scraping the data from the pdfs and making it available on
that basis would probably be in line (just about) with their T&Cs:

"You may retrieve and view content from our site, print off one copy of
individual pages, and may store these pages for research, your personal
use, or other non-commercial use provided that wherever you cite the data,
you credit “Carbon Disclosure Project” as the source. You may also use
content from our site in editorial content, provided that you credit
“Carbon Disclosure Project” as the source. You must not modify the paper or
digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any
way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio
sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text without
prior written permission from CDP."

...?

But I don't have the technical nouse to do it. I have done a couple of
years by cutting and pasting, but I am sure there is a better way! - If
anyone wants help with this it would be a public service.

More here:
http://hiyamaya.wordpress.com/2012/12/16/a-little-tweak-to-the-broken-carbon-dashboard/

Maya Forstater
Email:     maya at zadek.net