[open-sustainability] Mandatory GHG reporting for 1,100 of the UK’s biggest companies

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue May 14 13:11:50 UTC 2013

Just to pick up on this thread from a few weeks ago...

Does anyone know whether these proposed new regulations will say anything
regarding (i) the machine readability and (ii) the legal
reusability/openness of the information that is reported?

I can't see anything mentioned in the draft order:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/82573/consult-ghg-regulations-20131.pdf

It would be good to see the UK government connect this to their broader
commitment to open data.

On 30 April 2013 14:19, Townsend J.H. <J.Townsend at soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> Mandatory GHG reporting “opportunity” for all
>

> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/article/2013-04-23/mandatory-ghg-reporting-opportunity-for-all
>
> Ahead of new legislation requiring FTSE-listed firms to report their
> greenhouse-gas (GHG) emissions, IEMA says all organisations can benefit
> from getting to grips with GHG accounting
>
> Related articles
>
>   *   IEMA publishes guide on mandatory reporting<
> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/article/2012-07-11/iema-publishes-guide-on-mandatory-reporting
> >
>   *   Clegg orders mandatory reporting from 2013<
> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/article/2012-07-18/clegg-orders-mandatory-reporting-from-2013
> >

> The introduction of mandatory GHG reporting <
> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/article/2012-07-11/iema-publishes-guide-on-mandatory-reporting>
> for 1,100 of the UK’s biggest companies is an opportunity for all
> businesses to focus on efficiency, drive down costs and reduce their
> environmental impact, according to IEMA.
>
> In the run up to the publication of the new regulations, due to be laid
> before parliament this month, Martin Baxter, the Institute’s executive
> director of policy, is urging UK firms, both big and small, to prepare for
> the changes.
>
> “These regulations will enable companies to manage longer-term
> environmental challenges, such as climate change<
> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/climate-change-ghg-emissions/adaptation>,
> and ensure the drive towards a resource efficient<
> http://www.environmentalistonline.com/article/2012-09-17/when-less-means-more>
> and low-carbon economy,” said Baxter.
>
> “Although non-listed large companies and SMEs will initially be outside
> the scope of the regulations, many will increasingly be asked to provide
> data by larger supply-chain client companies.
>
> “Preparing for GHG accounting will enable these companies to retain
> clients and achieve competitive advantage,” he added.
>
> GHG accounting can deliver tangible benefits according to research from
> IEMA<http://www.iema.net>, with around 70% of companies surveyed
> confirming that GHG reporting will deliver cost savings, and 77% saying it
> will lead to environmental benefits.
>
> Under the new reporting regulations, all firms listed on the main market
> of the London Stock Exchanges, will have to report their scope 1 and 2 GHG
> emissions for company reporting years ending on or after 30 September 2013.

Jonathan Gray

Director of Policy and Ideas  | *@jwyg <https://twitter.com/jwyg>*

*

Empowering through Open Knowledge