[open-sustainability] Open Data Day on Floods, Open Sustainability Portal Idea, Flood Data List, Cleanweb March on Flooding

Jack Townsend jack at jacktownsend.net
Mon Feb 17 16:05:28 UTC 2014

Hey Rufus

Great that floods are on the agenda for Open Data Day, can follow on with the energy at the #floodhack event yesterday. Will get it announced at the new Climate Change Coders event on Wednesday.

As for the flood data sources, there's a good list from the event here. The data the Environment Agency "opened" yesterday is just for a three month period but it's a step in the right direction, and I'm sure all the attention will develop this conversation.

Hope to make it on Saturday, have a relevant idea emerging from my research: a global environmental- and sustainability- focussed CKAN portal aggregating metadata from all the others. Described below, will add to the list.

Oh, and we're probably going to refocus Cleanweb London 24 March onto using the Web to tackle climate adaptation and flooding.

Cheers
Jack

Open Sustainability Data Portal

Much of the data that is critical to moving towards a more sustainable society and combatting climate change is scattered across the internet on different open data portals and websites. This places substantial obstacles in the way of people looking to drive forward the sustainability agenda. There is an opportunity to create a global sustainability super-portal as a gateway to all this data, wherever it is. The repository will be based on the leading open source open data repository software CKAN, including code from the http://publicdata.eu/<http://publicdata.eu/> version which allows the mirroring of other repositories.