[open-sustainability] Invitation - "Tackling Corruption through Open Data" research roundtable (Monday, 9th June 2014, 14:00 hrs to 16:00hrs)

Thomas McGarvey thomas.mcgarvey at transparency.org.uk
Wed May 28 15:25:52 UTC 2014

Carlos Somohano
Data Science London
"Tackling Corruption through Open Data" research roundtable
Date & time: Monday, 9th June 2014, 14:00 hrs to 16:00hrs
Venue: Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
3 More London Riverside, London, SE1 2AQ

Transparency International UK are conducting research on UK issues as part of an international "Tackling Corruption through Open Data" project.

We are delighted to invite you to the first research roundtable of that project, which will focus on assessing official disclosure routes (including FOIA and Open Data) and comparing them to unofficial disclosure routes (including forms of Investigative Journalism, forms of Whistleblowing, other leaks) as a means of uncovering corruption. The purpose of the discussion is to identify what unofficial disclosure routes can tell us about the information that should be made available through official disclosure routes to help detect or deter corrupt behaviour in the public sector.

The roundtable participants will be a mix of around 20 stakeholders from across central government, local government, civic society, the media, academia, data intelligence experts, and freedom of information and open governance campaigners.

We are pleased to confirm opening contributions to discussion from:
·         Nick Mathiason, Bureau of Investigative Journalism
·         Tom Steinberg, Director of My Society (With sites including Theyworkforyou.com & whatdotheyknow.com)
·         Maurice Frankel, Director of The Campaign for Freedom of Information

We would be very much hope this invitation is of interest to you and look forward to hearing from you.

Please confirm your participation by replying to this email (Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk<mailto:Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk>)

If you have any questions or comments, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards,
Thomas McGarvey

Thomas McGarvey
Project Officer
Open Governance

Transparency International UK
transparency.org.uk<http://www.transparency.org.uk/> │ Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/transparencyuk> │Twitter<http://www.twitter.com/transparencyuk>
E: Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk<mailto:Thomas.McGarvey at transparency.org.uk>
T: + 44 (0)20 7922 7977
This e-mail transmission and any attachments accompanying it may contain information that is confidential and legally privileged. It belongs to the sender and is intended only for the addressees named above. If you are not the intended recipient and have received this information in error, please be advised that its use, disclosure, distribution, copying, printing or action taken on the basis of its contents is strictly prohibited. The views and opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the positions of Transparency International. UK Registered Charity number 1112842.