[open-sustainability] First Anniversary edition of our Geo4All Newsletter

Suchith Anand suchith_anand at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 9 08:12:37 UTC 2016

#yiv2765289275 --p {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}#yiv2765289275 P {margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}

Dear All,

I would like to share our first anniversary edition of Geo4All Newsletter. I take this opportunity  to thank Dr Nikos Lambrinos ( Chief Editor) and our wonderful team of co-editors for the first year anniversary of our Newsletter (this is our twelfth issue). Details athttp://www.geoforall.org/newsletters/
We are very grateful for thier selfless dedication and volunteer efforts of all our editors and contributors which make this possible. This newsletter has been an amazing instrument to share information and ideas with the wider geocommunity and also highlight and honour the contributions of our amazing colleagues from across the world.

We also have great pleasure in introducing Professor Georg Gartner as our first GeoAmbassodor in this newsletter . More information athttp://opensourcegeospatial.icaci.org/2016/07/geoambassodor-professor-georg-gartner/

It is my great pleasure to introduce our colleagues at SIGTE, University of Girona [1] , Spain, as our “Geo4All” lab of the month for this first Anniversary edition of our Geo4All Newsletter. One of the founder labs of the Geo for All initiative, SIGTE has been contributing immensely to our teaching, research, and service activies. SIGTE colleagues have been the pioneers of a very successful summer school program dedicated to free and open geographic information software and aimed at promoting the use and development of free geospatial solutions and empowering students.

I still remember the email discussions that I had with Lluis, Gemma, and other colleagues (sometime in early 2009!) when we put together a joint ERASMUS bid for helping us start this Summer School initiative, and I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to collaborate with amazing colleagues at SIGTE to lay the seeds of this pioneering Summer School initiative. This summer school initiative has been an inspiration for a lot of similar Open Source GIS summer schools around the world from China to India. GIS Open Source Summer School initiative aims to ensure the highest quality of results and internationalize the curricula, in order to prepare students in an international working environment and competitive skills with emphasis on collaboration during the course. All course materials from the summer school are available online[2].

In 2016, SIGTE is still working and applying free and open source technologies in the geospatial domain in a wide variety of research projects such as a Participatory GIS, the Mosquito Alert! project (a citizen platform for studying and control mosquitoes which transmit global diseases), or SIG Dunes (a web mapping application for the inventory and monitoring the dunes located on the shore front of the Catalan coast), among others.

On the education and training side, SIGTE is providing basic and specialized training courses (on site and on line courses) based on the use of Open Source Technologies in Geospatial applied to different scopes (regional and local planning managers, public administration in general, researchers in primatology, oceanography, etc.), and UNIGIS Girona [3] has become a MSc in GIS where FOSS has a noticeable adoption and presence, and it is a sign of identity.

Moreover, SIGTE is the organizer of the Spanish FOSS4G (Jornadas de SIG Libre) [4], ten editions to now, and in 2016 has also organized the 2nd International QGIS User and Developer Conference as well as a QGIS Hackfest [5] with the kind support of the OSGeo Foundation.

We thank Gemma Boix, Lluís Vicens, Gemma Pons, Rosa Olivella, Ferran Orduña,Toni Hernandez, Alexandre Busquets, Josep Sitjar, Laura Olivas, and all colleagues and students at SIGTE lab for their contributions to the Geo4All initiative and look forward to working and building more collaborations with all interested on this education mission.

I would like to thank our SIGTE colleagues for thier pioneering introductory video on Power of Geography athttps://vimeo.com/22069904

I really liked the final sentence in the video "In the not so distant future, it is hoped that GIS will help us build a better and more efficient society for all" - This is exactly why we are all working on Geo4All...

Happy Anniversary to all.

Best wishes,

Suchith

[1] http://www.sigte.udg.edu/en/