[Open-transport] Trnsprt.ch

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Tue Oct 23 21:59:53 UTC 2012

Hi Hannes,

I think we should agree on a common URI structure for journey planners,
departure/arrival boards and vehicle/line information. The people from
OpenTripPlanner were doing this already (Andrew, do you mind correcting
me please?).

One problem I have with your URI structure is that to and from are
included as part of the structure, while these are not different
resources (in a RESTful way).

A second problem I have with the URI structure is that your URIs are not
unique for a certain output or thing. When sending a URI to someone, you
will not be able to send him/her the information you've meant at a
certain moment in time.

At iRail we have been doing it in a slightly different way, including
the timestamp as well. For instance:

http://data.irail.be/NMBS/Departures/Gent-Sint-Pieters/2012/10/24/12/00

When going to this URI, it will redirect you to a URL which will check
the accept headers (.about) for the right formatter (xml, json, csv, ...).

Kind regards,

Pieter

--
OKFN Open Transport Working group