[Open-transport] OKFest 2014

Tero Piirainen tero.piirainen at uta.fi
Sun Mar 30 17:50:38 UTC 2014

Hi,

Really like the topics on road transportation/traffic by Stéphane, hope to
see that session on the OKFest agenda.

From Peter’s current list, my favourites are these two co-working
activities, hopefully those end up as a proposal as well:

-          Creating a Europe-wide referential database for stop_points.

-          Making an Open Transport ‘leaderboard’/map showing how much data
each country has open.

Additionally, I’ve already made this research oriented session proposal for
the Knowledge stream.

Transport and traffic data are some of the most relevant fields of open data
for the citizens, but also for researchers. The research on open transport
and traffic data may focus on big data, suitable for large-scale statistical
analysis, or small-scale datasets, from which researchers can extract
relevant facts. Some datasets provide a look at past, while others provide
live information, for example, on congestion or currently available public
transport services. This session discusses the following topics:

* What is the value of open transport and traffic data for researchers?

* What are most interesting datasets? What datasets are missing?

* Which cities are the pioneers in opening up the transport and traffic
data, and what could be learned from those cases?

* How open data can be utilized in big data research (e.g. data collection,
data analysis, using big data in decision-making)?

* What is the potential impact of the open transport and traffic data
research on society?

Bit confused about the structure of the OKFest programme, but I think it’s
better to push more proposals now, to get good Open-Transport coverage in
the event.

Thanks,

--Tero