[Open-transport] Coverage of GTFS-RT feeds in the world

Pieter Colpaert pieter.colpaert at okfn.org
Fri Oct 14 11:52:59 UTC 2016

That's also my impression.

To specificy: I'm not really looking for a list, more like a statement
saying: "based on X, I think GTFS-RT coverage is going great/bad"

More context: the European Commission's DG Move wants to make the use of
Netex and Siri mandatory. Their reasoning is that GTFS-RT is too limited
(I think). My current impression however of Siri and Netex is that these
2 specifications reinvent the wheel and their only small addition, the
definitions of certain words (the vocabulary), is not very
user-friendly. Furthermore, Siri is tightly coupled to the SOAP world,
and thus, by definition, not well suited for open data publishing. So I
want to convince the European Commission that publishing data files,
such as in the case of GTFS-RT, is a lot more feasible, cost-efficient
and scalable than having all public transit agencies in Europe have to
invest in a SIRI service.

Kind regards,

Pieter

--