[openbiblio-dev] [okfn-help] Open Infrastructure: OFS, the Open/OKF bucket/object store

James Casbon casbon at gmail.com
Tue Jul 27 19:23:04 UTC 2010

On 27 July 2010 20:18, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> <http://okfnpad.org/ofs>
> <http://bitbucket.org/okfn/ofs/>
>
> Just very quick update to people that Ben and I have been thinking and
> hacking on some basic open infrastructure tools/services.
>
> Specifically we've started on something we've dubbed OFS (for Open/OKF
> File system).
>
> Basic idea is to minimal abstraction of bucket/object storage so that
> you can go seamlessly from working on disk to using a distributed
> store (amazon s3, your nosql of choice ...).

So this is a bit like django's storage api?  A consistent frontend to
different backends?
http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/files/storage/

> At the moment we have a pairtree backend and semi-finished pairtree
> one. Hope to knock up an s3 one.

What is pairtree? Googling pairtree produces advice on how to plant
pear trees and I already have two of those, but they're not much use
for storing files.