[openbiblio-dev] [okfn-help] Open Infrastructure: OFS, the Open/OKF bucket/object store

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Tue Jul 27 20:06:20 UTC 2010

On 27 July 2010 20:23, James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 July 2010 20:18, Rufus Pollock <rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
>> <http://okfnpad.org/ofs>
>> <http://bitbucket.org/okfn/ofs/>
>>
>> Just very quick update to people that Ben and I have been thinking and
>> hacking on some basic open infrastructure tools/services.
>>
>> Specifically we've started on something we've dubbed OFS (for Open/OKF
>> File system).
>>
>> Basic idea is to minimal abstraction of bucket/object storage so that
>> you can go seamlessly from working on disk to using a distributed
>> store (amazon s3, your nosql of choice ...).
>
> So this is a bit like django's storage api?  A consistent frontend to
> different backends?
> http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/files/storage/

Yes, looks like it but not FS oriented. I should also emphasize that
OFS on its own isn't much -- you want messaging + metadata/indexing as
well. Let me emphasize here we are not trying to build anything just
abstract some exist services enough for us to easily switch
(especially from local fs to the "cloud")

>> At the moment we have a pairtree backend and semi-finished pairtree
>> one. Hope to knock up an s3 one.
>
> What is pairtree? Googling pairtree produces advice on how to plant
> pear trees and I already have two of those, but they're not much use
> for storing files.

Googling "pairtree" actually works, first result is:

<http://www.cdlib.org/gateways/technology/> leading to
<https://confluence.ucop.edu/display/Curation/PairTree>

it is just that by default when you search for pairtree google decides
you are looking for "pear tree" ...

Rufus
--
Open Knowledge Foundation