[openbiblio-dev] Unique identifiers for bibliographic objects

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Jun 27 09:59:25 UTC 2010

I can see it being very useful to have agreed identifier systems for many of
the concepts in bibliography.  There are clearly well understood systems
like ISBN, ISSN within bibliography. Can we assume some ISO and other
standards will be used where possible (language codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_639-1, country codes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_3166).

Which others are useful?

I assume that author identification and disambiguation is too large and
difficult for this project to apply universally especially for scientific
publications.

I would be very interested in unique identifiers for organizations
(particularly research and academic). This seems an achievable task although
I appreciate that institutions are born, merge and split. It would give rise
to some exciting mashups in bibliography related to scientific endeavours
(where is most of the work on X being done? etc.)

More generally I assume that at some stage (probably already) the OKF will
need its own set of unique identifiers for bibliographies and bibliographic
entries and I'd like to see the issues.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics