[openbiblio-dev] Promised post about timeline for migration/reload

William Waites ww at styx.org
Wed Apr 27 09:37:49 UTC 2011

Hello Rufus, my apologies for the delay, there was some non-standard
scheduling over the last week and I didn't get to work on this as I
would have liked.

So the plan is to migrate to rackspace in the hope that they don't
oversubscribe their infrastructure to the same extent as AWS.

Also, due to (1) the deadlock issues talking to Virtuoso over ODBC
and (2) the workaround for (1) that means we don't have a public
SPARQL endpoint, I'm going to try running 4store on the back-end
which will require some probably minimal changes to the code. This
will also mean that SPARQL from JS in the UI is possible which
should be quite helpful.

I've done some evaluation on the feasibility of running 4store as
a cluster rather than in a single-node configuration but it seems
like this will be troublesome due to the way the network gets
configured at rackspace (can't count on mDNS working properly) so
will shelve that idea for the time being.

So we're going to reload the data from scratch and bin the
bnb.bibliographica.org subdomain, and with any luck this will be
accomplished in the next few days.

I also have a call for reviving the MARC->RDF translator which
should also give us another big pile of data.