[openbiblio-dev] bibserver dao

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Aug 24 18:44:19 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 10:25, Mark MacGillivray <mark at cottagelabs.com> wrote:
> hi Rufus,
>
> Yep, the agreed functionality is fine. Have seen your changes to the
> repo. I note you have changed the top of solreyes as well. I am
> altering that to ES and to call the dao, so will write changes into
> there.
>
> However I disagree with removing the local store - the functionality
> to store files that were retrieved or uploaded was already there in
> the manager - sure, it did not schedule anything yet and that would
> not be a major requirement until we expected large files, but having a
> cache seems obvious to me - why would we want to grab copies of things
> that have not changed? It just checked the last-modified date, so all
> we had to add was a comparison to the created date of the local file.
> Also, the old bibserver that Jim uses had caching, and he sees it as a
> requirement. Can you add that back in to the refactored version
> please?

We also had a chance to talk about this. From my end the issue is that
file storage always introduces complexity both in code and more widely
(e.g. easy to have security holes and allow attackers to write over
your bashrc or similar ...) and we don't have any immediate need for
it. I'd therefore suggest leaving it out until we have a clear and
present need (moreover at that point, the need e.g. asynchronous
processing, might influence the implementation).

Rufus