[openbiblio-dev] BibSoup in AnimalGarden

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Dec 19 21:32:17 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Jim Pitman <pitman at stat.berkeley.edu>wrote:

> Peter Murray-Rust <pm286 at cam.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > > and if not in a general text editor, with what editing tool?
> > Is there a tool that does this?
>

> There are many tools for editing BibTeX or logical equivalent, which is
> largely adequate as a
> BibJSON substrate. e.g. Zotero, Mendeley, BibSonomy, BibDesk, JabRef, ...
> Any of these could be used to edit a collection and then publish it to
> BibSoup. We should
> as soon as possible support proper between the native SQLite files used by
> Zotero and
> Mendeley and BibJSON.

Do these require the user to know BibTeX? Or do they have schema-driven
GUIs? Because if the former we are just swapping one language for another.
If the latter then we can presumably have an import on the server.

> > I wanted to edit some myself last night - tried to get a JSON plugin for
> Eclipse and after 3-4
> > hours gave up.
>
> Good JSON editors seem hard to find. I am not sure this is the right way
> to go either, to use
> a general purpose JSON editor. Need some validation to  keep BibJSON on
> the rails I think.

Agreed. I am amazed how few editors there were. The Eclipse problems are -
I think - because my Eclipse id broken. I just wanted it for my own use. I
found an online syntax validator.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics