[openbiblio-dev] Virtuoso versus 4store

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu May 12 17:00:20 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 5:32 PM, William Waites <ww at styx.org> wrote:

I can't comment on the technology but I'll try to re-orient the discussion.

> In terms of deliverables for the jiscobib project, we have a large
> corpus of open linked data that we can now make available.

Writing as JISCObib PI ... from MPOV the important thing is to be able to
show that we have made enough technical and political progress that people
see this as an important nucleus. Where and how that nucleus is "located"
and who and how people get access will depend on resources.

The most important think is to show that we
(a) have the bibliography - both BL and Medline
(b) we understand the details of each and can come up with a LOD design
(c) this is an ongoing effort and we want other parties to work with us.

The system is a prototype in that we are still finding out what the
components contain and what is useful/usable. In so far as we expose it to
the world it is to show how the prototype works, not to run a production
service.

So, for example, I want to ask questions like "what are the most frequent
fields in Medline" , "what does Medline's concept of "Citation" mean, etc.
Then to find out what percentage of of records have DOIs, etc. As we
discover these things we'll have a better idea of what would be valuable to
expose on a production scale. We are clearly going to need a substantive
machine anyway if we are going to explore the data.

Make sense?

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics