[openbiblio-dev] Virtuoso versus 4store

William Waites ww at styx.org
Fri May 13 13:37:31 UTC 2011

* [2011-05-13 14:12:13 +0100] ianibbo at gmail.com <ianibbo at gmail.com> écrit:

] Is Virtuoso Free as in this sense of Freedom? I've struggled to get to
] grips with what their licensing actually is. If it's free in the sense
] of freedom I'll seriously consider migrating some of our apps to it!

The open source version is GPL. The commercial version has some extra
features (clustering, Geo stuff, talking to remote databases) and is
not. So a classic split-license arrangement where the non-free version
has extra features but the free version is quite capable otherwise.

I've also found the Openlink developers to be very helpful, in some
cases working on problems with me for weeks, though on the other hand
as a C programmer I find the 4store code base easier to work with.

Cheers,
-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>